SL 217/9 (50.0 Ovs)
IND 218/4 (45.1 Ovs)
India won by 6 wkts
PLAYER OF THE MATCH
– India won their seventh successive bilateral series against SL. They have won eight and drawn one against SL dating back to 2000.
– Jasprit Bumrah’s 5/27 is the second best figures for India in SL after 6/59 by Nehra at RPS in 2009. He has taken four or more wkts four times in his career of 19 ODIs – the most by an Indian at that point in his career.
– Rohit scored his maiden ODI century in SL after failing to reach double figures in nine of his 11 previous innings there.
– MS Dhoni has equaled the record for most not-outs in ODIs with Chaminda Vaas & Shaun Pollock today with 72 unbeaten inngs each. He went past Azhar’s tally of 9378 runs (when on 12) to become India’s fourth leading run-getter in ODIs.
– 157* by Dhoni & Rohit is the third highest fourth wicket stand for India against SL after 223 by Azhar & Jadeja at RPS in 1997 and 184* by Gambhir & Dhoni at the Gabba in 2008.
Kohli: Small targets are always tricky. If it happens to you two or three times, I don’t think it’s an issue. Here the wicket was a bit more challenging. The last game we had a collapse. The other batsmen really applied themselves. We have to be a bit patient with the younger players. He’s got 11 wickets in three games, he’s bowled really well. Last game he missed out on a five-for, but he got it this time. He’s doing a great job for us, and I wish him all the best. We have a squad of 15, we’ll look to give some of the other guys a go. Having won the series already, we can afford to give those guys a go.
Kapugedera: I thought it was a good wicket, so we wanted to put on a score which we could defend. Things didn’t go to our plans. We discussed about not playing dot balls in the middle. 260-275 would have been a challenging score. I enjoyed it (captaincy). There was pressure, but I enjoyed it. Hopefully we can get a win next time.
Bumrah: It’s always good when you get a break so you can work on your strengths and be refreshed when you come back. This was a different wicket. In the last match, it was slow, but in this match, there was seam movement with the new ball. Didn’t know that but it’s a good feeling. When you contribute to the team’s success, it’s always a good feeling.